Sunday, November 18, 2007

Back...

I must have a had a wee dose of seeing into the future in my last post! 2 posts in one day and then nothing for 2 weeks..... hmmm - seriously we have had tummy bugs and accidents just doing the rounds here - and I am so over bugs. Lets start with Josef getting stuck in a window - we still don't know what he was thinking when he decided to climb out the window at school! But he slipped and got 'hung'. He was quite banged up when I got to school and after a quick consult with my doctor it was decided he was suffering a mild case of shock. What a dreadful experience, poor Josef was so shaken he slept 24 hours and it took over a week for him to bounce back.
Then we started taking turns with the gastro bug that has taken Southland by storm. Leo suffered the most, he was off work 5 days and he only went back because the telecom faults were pouring in and he works alone so wasn't a risk. Then Jessica, then Josef and then me. Ashleigh and Steven even joined in the fun!! Poor wee Brooke got it last week and ended up spending a few hours at A&E with a 41 degree temperature and a totally freaked out mother.
Last weekend I was moving a shelf in my scrap room and my back decided to let me know it existed - amazing how much we take the spine for granted. My lower back has been giving me so much grief lately. Its almost humorous to go to work and have my elderly clients demanding I sit!!!
Last Thursday I picked Jess up from school and she was in tears because she had a piece of grit in her eye and the teacher had given her an ice pack???? I rinsed her eye as soon as we got home and sure enough a piece of grit sailed out but by this time Jess had rubbed her eye so much it had scratched. Friday she was home with an infection in her eye!
Today I went up to the craft show for a wee looksie with Ashleigh and Brooke and before we left I noticed a small rash on Brooke's neck. Ash had assumed she was reacting to the wool washs he used to wash Brooke's sleeping bag. Ashleigh text me this afternoon to say she had been to Oma's and Oma took one look at Brooke and announced Brooke had the measles. So I went to look and yep sure enough Brooke has the measles!!! That poor baby has such a rough time of it lately. Those spots came out so fast!!!

But we have had some bright spots! Josef had his New Entrants Day at Boys High on Friday and he loved it!! He was so pleased to see Jeremy from his soccer team. Nathan another soccer team member but a year older made Josef feel good as well. Josef was shown around the school by PJ - PJ is deaf as well and is doing really well at school - this was a total confidence boost for us as we have had some people vocally knocking Boys High as a bad choice for Josef. When you have only have 2 schools to choose from you will get pros and cons for them but ultimately Josef is the one who has to go there.

And finally yesterday we had a most wonderful day spent with Ashleigh and Steven and a lot of family and friends as we celebrated my baby girls engagement. Yes I am having some trouble cutting the aprons strings, even though she is a mother herself, she is my baby now and forever!
The sun came out and we had a fabulous BBQ tea. It was such a great evening. I was so impressed with the goodwill and love that just flowed to Ash and Steven. The make such a lovely couple and they both work so hard to make things work out. They have come such a long way from the troubled teenagers to grow into mature, loving adults.
It really goes to show that sometimes just sticking by your kid when they go off the rails and quietly mending damage in the background can really pay off. The layout is my entry for the monthly challenge at Scrapbook Essentials. Brooke looked so adorable in the wee red jacket Oma had knitted her it seemed a perfect photo op!
The Winds of Fate (Ella Wheeler Wilcox 1850-1919)

One ship drives east and another drives west
With the selfsame winds that blow.
'Tis the set of the sails
And not the gales
Which tells us the way to go

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
As we voyage along through life;
'Tis the set of a soul
That decides it's goal,
And not the calm or the strife.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Julie! You have all had a really rough time of it lately, I'm so sorry! What a huge list of ailments and injuries! I trust everybody is better now though.

Poor wee Brooke ... you certainly don't hear of many kids getting measles these days, but I guess she hadn't had the MMR vaccine yet? It's 15 months if I recall. I hope she's recovering OK and that Ashleigh is coping.

You guys deserve some GOOD luck now, so I hope things improve and you are blessed beyond belief in the coming weeks! :-)

Anonymous said...

congrats Ash and Steve on your good news. Good that Josef loves his new school for next year. Ugh at those tummy bugs but I am pleased to hear you are all getting over that. Aww poor Brooke and her measles but she looks cute in that layout btw.....

Anonymous said...

Awww Julie what a horrile time you have all been having and I hope that you are all getting better and that Brooke's measles don't hang around for long. Yay for Josef on his day at his new school for next year. Hope that this following week is much better.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time of it lately - never nice to get a run like that.
But Huge congrats to Ashley and Steve - wishing you all the very best :)

Vicki said...

Wow what a run of bad luck you have had - hope that everyone is well on the mend and that Brooke isn't too miserable. Its busy enough around this time of year without having to cope with everything else that seems to get thrown at you as well. All the best.