Monday, August 27, 2007

I am sooo angry

According to ABC News 'Almost 600 New Zealanders are leaving home every week to live and work overseas and most of them are heading to Australia, migration figures show.' I can so understand this!!!
Our education, health and welfare systems have completely gone to the dogs!
1. Jessica needs new hearing aids - urgently - we followed all the requirements and the aids are covered by our personal home insurance. The audiology department told us today it will be late September, early October before she gets an appointment. Ummm - hello did we mention urgent - as in she needs them for school? We have to go private! The hospital has a contract to provide this service free to school children and we have to go private!! (but going private means she will be seen Wednesday)
2. Again health related - my dad is in dire need of a triple bypass open heart surgery. He has been told he is a "walking time bomb". He has type 2 diabetes and most days is a really awful shade of grey. He is on a waiting list.. and he will have to travel to Dunedin for the surgery which may or may not happen before Christmas.
3. Ashleigh rang IRD today to find out why she hasn't gotten family assistance to be told they had on file Brooke was in CYFS care!!! What the??? I'm sitting on the floor playing with Brooke while Ash was relating the conversation she was having on the phone! We were gobsmacked. Then because its a government department - it will take a couple of weeks to sort this out and the payments should start 2-3 weeks. No sorry, no explanations, nothing!
4. Education - oh good heavens I could write a book about what I think is wrong with our education system - I'll start with the way they grade kids - give me A B C D E etc - over all this politically correct achieved, merits what have you - you either pass or you fail! You nearly need a degree in something to understand a high school students report lol!

I'm in such a grumbly, angry mood with everything!!! And I have a headache. Grrrrrr.... some days I haven't a clue why we stay in New Zealand, it does not seem to be a country that works for middle income, hard working people. I worry constantly about what the future will offer Josef. Josef wants to be an archaeologist and has such big dreams. Its funny but I dont worry about the girls as much - they seem to land on their feet better than Josef. (Jess has announced she is moving to France so she can be a professional artist)

I'm sure by tomorrow I will be over my grumble - and back to loving my country to pieces. And I do, I love how we can hop in the car and in half an hour we will be in the mountains, at the beach or a river. But tonight I am sooooo angry!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope your headache goes soon. Sounds like its been one of those days. I can certainly see your frustration with it all and with all of that happening today you kinda think boy whens it all going to end. Keep ya chin up JUlie. Tuesday is another day and a better day. Dont forget to read your blue day journal.

Beverley said...

I hear you - and agree! Dad is still waiting for help promised when they kicked him out of hospital a couple of months ago. They assess and then do paperwork - but nothing comes of it. grrrrrr! Hope Jess gets her hearing aids soon.

Anonymous said...

Aarrgghh! Said in total agreement with you Julie!! Somehow we are too rich (oh yeah?!!) to need anything from the government, too poor to do things as and when we want. I think it's us that the gvt takes our taxes and spends it on those that *need* it leaving us to pay for ourselves - in effect paying twice! Oh I could go on and on too. But that won't help you..... I wish for your headache to disappear then
I hope you get the hearing aids for Jess soon - and your dad gets his op too.
{Hugs}