Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hybrid Scrapbooking

That seems to be my cup of tea these days - I'm in love with all the free digital downloads available on the internet and even had a go at digital scrapbooking but found I much rather have my hands on something, then add in the fact that I like a hard copy of my efforts and the thought of trying to print something in 12x12 format is a little out of my realm of expertise I think! One big bonus about digital is you never ever run out of your favourite embellishment!
because I love to print digital stuff out and I love to add digital elements to my photos then print them - and then I put the whole lot together on a page along with traditional papers and embellishments I am evolving into a hybrid scrapbooker! Scrapjazz has a neat explanation of what hybrid scrapbooking is all about - click here. Its easy to do - and I don't use Photo Shop or any fancy programmes - I use the basic Picture It that came with my computer.
Anyway while I'm on the subject of scrapbooking (gee how did that happen?) - this is what I have been creating lately....I have 2 layouts on the go on my desk and ideas going around and around my head- my mojo went on a mini holiday I think and has come home to me!! I'm a sucker for sketches and I have been trying to learn to adapt them to my - rather than straight copy the sketch.

On Monday we went to Boys High for the Open Night - WOW!! That school is huge and it is going to swallow my little boy up! Josef loved it though, he loved the science labs and the computer rooms. He loved the whole thing and now he cant wait to go there!!
Leo wants to go to the Verdon open day on Sunday - I'm not keen - I had such a terrible experience with this school when Ash was there that I just don't want anything more to do with it. Leo wants me to keep an open mind, he reminds me of my own words - that is not just the school but the child as well that will determined how well they do. I know of dozens and dozens of parents who will say Verdon is the best school. But when Ash was there they let me down, she was trouble with a capital T and she skipped school a lot - but it took them nearly 6 months to tell me this fact! All the time I was dropping her off at the gates and picking her up, and they couldnt tell me she wasn't actually going!! When I confronted this issue they politely told me that I was very difficult to contact - with having a hearing problem! They had Leo's cell number!! I felt they were negligent, she was their responsibility from 9am to 3pm. We were having problems at home at the time with Ash and I was taking comfort in the fact that at least she was till in school.
Now I just couldnt send my son there - he is quite deaf - will they bother trying to teach him - or would that be to 'difficult' for them?
Whoa - that was a major rant!! Just pat me on the head and say "there, there" - LOL.
Anyway I told Leo he can take Josef to Verdon for a looksee - but Josef and I have already decided - he is going to Boys High. We will just humour Leo.
(I hope I am not made to eat my words and Josef ends up at Verdon - unfortunately Invercargill is subject to zoning and we are just slightly out of the Boys High zone - but we spoke to the rector and he is quietly confident Josef will be accepted)

Education is our passport to the future,
for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.
(Malcom X)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hybrid scrapping does seem to be a good way to get the "best of both worlds" ... I like the idea of never running out of embellishments! And there are some fun things you can do with brushes etc. Must make time to play around more!
Great layouts - glad to hear your mojo has come home! LOL.

And I hope you find the "right" school for Josef - be it Boys High or not. I can't imagine how hard it must be having to send your little boy off to high school - they really do seem so little at this age, but they are growing up and it's time for the next stage. Hard to let go, I'm sure. But it sounds like he's excited and keen, which is the main thing! All a learning experience for kids and parents, huh? I've only got more of that to come ... ;-)

Mrs Frizz said...

Give me papers and a scalpel any day ... I'm not overly convinced about this digital scrapping - but each to his own, I say ...

Awesome looking layouts Jules ...

Open nights at high schools - scary stuff ... I'm sure that you will all make the right decision for Jos ... good luck with the decision making process.