Thursday, March 1, 2007

Trying to use old supplies

Its really hard sometimes when the new stuff just keeps coming and is so totally gorgeous - I don't scrap fast enough to keep up with my buying - how sad is that!?!
I used a paperkin on this layout - I just cut him a new shirt and pants as the ones he came with clashed - the daisies are simple punchies.
When I first got this filmstrip I was delighted - I thought it looked so cool - then promptly put it in a drawer and forgot about it! Okay the paper is crate paper - but in the scrap'n world its dated - LOL. I have a set of the keys and locks - have had them for ages and never really had much use for them.
Another where I've used something old on new paper. Now if I can just keep it up I will make a healthy dent in my supplies and feel so much better!

Jessica got put in the big pool at swimming today! I'm so proud of her - she can't touch the bottom and at first wouldn't let go of the side of the pool, but she gradually got more confident and swam away for the side.
She goes to swimming lessons on Friday night with the Murihuki Swimming Club - her first night swimming has gone down in history at the club! She can be a difficult child sometimes and this night (she was 5) she decided she didn't want swimming lessons - BUT - she wasn't going to get out of the pool - she stood in the water just out of my reach and screamed! For about 5 minutes she made such a lot of noise - much to the delight of the watching parents. Then she promptly decided she was going to learn to swim after all.
If I had been able to reach her I think she would have been out of the pool so fast and in the car and home - but she is a smart child. I have learnt to ignore this diva behaviour in Jess now - but at the time I was mortified. Unfortunately 2 years later I still get ribbed about it!
I got side tracked didn't I? LOL - Jessica is swimming at school 2 afternoons a week at the moment and was with her age group. She swims much, much better than her age group so is now in with the 9 year olds. I am so very proud of her, I love how well she is doing.
I do have to say I was pretty shocked at the number of children who have no confidence at all around the water. This country has so much accessible water and the first thing we should be doing is teaching our kids water safety and basic skills. This is why we took out kids to lessons initially - our crib is beside the Nokomai Creek and across the paddock for the Matuara River.
(off the soapbox - sorry)
:)

3 comments:

Janine said...

well done for using up exsisting supplies. I think we all suffer the same. Great layouts. As for the swimming we wont go there!! :-)

Hannah said...

Good job using up your old supplies! I need to do that, but somehow I fear that I won't get round to it and I'll end up giving it away or selling it!

I do agree about the swimming confidence. We are trying to teach our boys water skills. Ethan had swimming lessons at 9 months but we ended up stopping because his teacher wasn't very good. We found it hard to get back onto the list because there are limited space. Now he is nearly 5 and I would like him to have lessons again, but I don't think he's ready. Some kids are ready to start much earlier, but he is a sensitive boy who often lacks confidence, so we've decided to go at his pace. We are teaching him as much as we can ourselves, and maybe in a year or so we can start thinking about formal lessons again. Tyler is completely different and already has some good floating skills, he is relaxed and confident in the water and loves to learn, so I'm sure that Rob will be able to teach him fairly easily. He's only 2, so we're focusing on basics right now.
You must be very proud of Jess, and with very good reason!! She's doing so well!

Mrs Frizz said...

Wow you have been busy - love Crate paper - you can't go wrong with it - although I buy it and it sits [in a box] ... lol.

As for the bowling layout. I've got a few ideas running around my head for one of them as well - Nathan and I went bowling in the school holidays and I've got cut outs of bowling pins ... must get around to that one ...

Swimming - yep, it's a must. All children should know how to swim - no arguments from me on that score.