Saturday, January 13, 2007

Simple pleasures are life's treasures

I got an email this morning from a a friend in America - she has been on holiday and was collecting quotes for me - I love quotes - the title of her email was the title of this post!
One of the funniest quotes she sent was in a shop she visited
"All unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy."

I was all grumpy and not in the best frame of mind when I got the email, I think I just plain got out of bed the wrong side today, it got worse when I wanted to order some stuff from my favourite scrap site's sale but couldn't get it loaded, did a load of washing and discovered Jessica had gotten paint on her new shirt and it didn't come out, then Jessica thought she would pick all the peas for me, even the skinny wee things....

That little saying simple pleasures has been running through my head all morning, so when Jess and her friend Erina suggested we go to the park for a picnic lunch, I jumped at the idea. Finally I felt relaxed, sitting by the pool watching the girls having so much fun, and this little wee boy had me spellbound for a while - he was being so brave and toddling up to the side and got distracted by a leaf, having a taste, then putting a foot in the pool and the look on his face was utter joy - he let go of his daddy's hand and sat down and splashed to his hearts content. I wished it was one of my kids so I could have taken photos of his expressions.
We had a lovely picnic lunch - Ashleigh, Steven and Brooke joined us for a while. Although Brooke slept the entire time we were there - how unsociable is that? LOLThe girls played for a while in the pool at home - it was funny - they decided the blowup tiger was a bucking horse and they had to stay on, they were bouncing up and down sloshing water all over the sides, then falling off so dramatically!
While I was gardening my cat, Texas thought he was a mighty hunter and began to stalk a native grass in a pot! he was so daft, hiding behind the leg of the picnic table then rushing up to the plant. Best part was when he realised we were watching - he actually looked embarrassed - LOL. My flower gardens are all done and I mowed the lawns. I'm happy now, it really is the simple things that can bring the most pleasure.

I'll leave you with a quote that works for my WORD -
"Live a good life and in the end, its not the years in a life, its the life in the years."
Abe Lincoln

2 comments:

Janine said...

sometimes we just need to step back and take a look at what we do have and what we are thankful for...sounds like your day was wonderful.....

Hannah said...

I completely agree about the simple pleasures ... we all have to take the opportunity to look for them, as they are generally all around us but we don't see them! Sounds like you had a really lovely day :-)