Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tramping to the Kiwi Burn

What an absolutely fabulous overnighter we had! Leo and I decided the kids were going to come tramping. Leo picked an easy track to the Kiwi Burn Hut at Mavora, which is near Te Anau. So incredible to think that this kind of countryside is a little over an hour from our door!
The children had a ball - they just loved it! Of course Josef had to make one of his "Josef" comments - "I liked it but I like being at home better!" LOL!
Jessica was pretty nervous about carrying a pack, even though Leo had told her the track was only a half hour walk. We loaded up and drove up to Nokomai Station to collect Josef who was stying at the crib with Oma and Opa. Then we were off. The kids had no idea if they should be excited or not, so opted for have a sibling squabble - hey they had been apart for 3 days - they missed each other - I think...
When we got to Mavora we strapped packs on and set off, I added a little comic relief for the kids - Leo would NOT dare laugh - even if I was - LOL. I tripped over a rock going down a gentle slope and went splat! Unfortunately I got a really, really bad case of the giggles and I just could not stand up. I had this huge, heavy pack on my back and Jessica peering down at me like I'd completely lost the plot, no matter which way I rolled I couldn't find my feet - so I would laugh even harder. Leo hauled me up and we were all very suitably impressed by my skinned knee - and we weren't even on the track yet!!
Over the swing bridge and in a few metres and we are confronted with a sign saying Kiwi Burn Hut 1.5 hours. Ummm - Leo. He was so sure it was only a half hour walk, so we gave him the benefit of doubt and set off - it took 1.5 hours at a seven year olds pace!There were a couple of "Are we nearly there" and a couple of " Where is the hut?" but nothing that made us regret doing this.
I was horrified to see a live possum in a trap - it was so close to the track - what if a person blundered into that? Going to make a phone call to DOC, but I seriously doubt it was one of their traps - they are more humane that that!But the track was a delight, it had enough muddy bits to please Josef and enough photo moments to please me. Leo was just pleased to be in the bush. Jessica - she was so curious about every thing, the plants, the river, the birds... Josef was more curious about the safety blankets, compass, whistles, first aid kits, etc.The hut was great, we had it all to ourselves! Such a bonus!
Leo went for walk by himself and Josef became very concerned he may get lost, but was reassured when I said he had a compass.
At the hut the kids were rapt with the creek running behind it. We spent some very happy time following it and "blazing a new trail" or trying to keep up with Josef - who had discovered he has mountain goat in his genetic makeup!It was fun introducing the kids to "hiking" food - not so great according to Josef - he hated powdered milk! But they loved the nibbles we pack for energy.
We had a visit from some mice, one who popped out steal and M&M that had been dropped.Sleep was next to impossible for Leo and I as the kids got used to sleeping bags and the mattresses were covered in a plastic that squeaked! I finally dozed off only to be woken, very suddenly by Josef shining a torch about 2 cms from my face and informing me he had to go to the toilet! It took a while to get over that shock!
It was in all a fantastic weekend. I cant wait now till the tramping off season, we plan to take the kids to the Kepler Track, we will stay in the Motorau Hut. Its cheaper to go out of season, and less likely to be crowded.
What an absolutely gorgeous way to spend time with the kids!!!

3 comments:

Janine said...

wow what a wonderful few days you had away with the kids. Love the photos. Go you on the adventure.

Hannah said...

Wow Julie, that is so awesome!! It looks & sounds like you all had a wonderful time. What a great learning adventure for the kids, I DEFINITELY want to do this with my boys when they are big enough. You've got some fantastic pictures there, I can feel some scrapbooking coming on ... ;-)

Mrs Frizz said...

Wow, some neat pics on your slide show and I'm sure some neat layouts coming up at some stage. Tell Josef that I would have throttled him waking up to a torch being shone in my face ... I would not have coped with that ... and tell Leo there is a HUGE difference between a 30 minute walk and an hour and a half stroll. I'm most impressed with the children's efforts.